Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Gardening Guide

New Users

Default Need a Gardening Guide

Hi, my name is Oscar and I am excited to be a part of this forum. I have no idea what plants I should be putting in the raised beds or around the pond or anywhere else in the yard for that matter. Need help laying out what to lawn, where and when.

Default Veggies in my raised beds

Quote Originally Posted by OscarKane View Post
    Hi, my name is Oscar and I am excited to be a part of this forum. I have no idea what plants I should be putting in the raised beds or around the pond or anywhere else in the yard for that matter. Need help laying out what to lawn, where and when.
    My son put raised beds in for my veggie garden a few years back, so I wouldn't "fall on my head" in the garden. I love them!

Broccoli, tomatoes, zucchini, red cabbage, eggplant, lettuce, snowpeas have all been successful. Even celery.

Been fun, very fruitful.

Have fun!

I would need help with the exact same thing. I am also a beginner, and will follow this thread for sure.

New Users

Oscar and Josephin3:
    What area of the country are you in? Your gardening zone can be found on the USDA website, and that will tell you how long your growing season is. Then you will know what you can or can't grow. Some plants do well in the north, some are better in the south. I'm in Texas, and we can garden yer-round here.
    --Eric | theZone9Gardener.com

There's tons of stuff you can put in raised beds.

New Users

Thanks eackley

New Users

Hello, Mr. Hopson:
    I see that you are In Lancaster, PA, in zip 175XX or 176XX. Depending on where you are, your last frost date is somewhere between April 11-30. So, there is still time to plan your garden.

The first step is to figure out where you want to plant. It needs to have full sun, not too far from your kitchen, and have access to water. Unless you are an experienced gardener, start out small. I started out with a 4x8 plot. The reason to start small is the gardening chores (weeding, watering, checking for bugs) in the summer may overwhelm you if you have a large plot.

Then make a list of what you want to grow and what will grow in Lancaster. No sense in growing radishes if no one will eat them. You can look at online seed catalogs or order printed catalogs online for ideas.

Third, decide what type of garden you want. Figure out if you have a lot of space, if you have a little space, if you live in a second-story apartment and need to use the balcony. I am a fan of square foot gardening, growing a lot of vegetables in small spaces, rather than traditional row gardens. You can also grow in raised beds, or containers.

Let me know when you have worked through this list so far, and we can go on.

--Eric

New Users

Sorry, Oscar, I am not familiar with Australia. In the USA, we have hardiness zones to tell us approximately when the frost dates are, and how long the growing season is. If you know that info, I can offer general help.

Of course, here it is the middle of winter; down there, you would be preparing for a fall garden.

--Eric

Default Garden Improvement by Bloom Booster

Taking care of your backyard can be more profitable in terms of your own vegetables.
    This Vegetables need a proper Organic Booster from the soil which is at your backyard.
    Backyard can give you the best exercise in terms of Vegetables and pure Air.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlie View Post
    There's tons of stuff you can put in raised beds.
    Hi everyone,

My husband & I are located in Southern California, and we made a garden video (a long-awaited project) to share our 4 year adventure —> turning our grass yard into a food forest!
    We created a Youtube channel (Grow Create Films) … and slowly we will be adding videos re: ecology / sustainability / nutrition & people reconnecting with Earth again.

It highlights organic fruit trees, organic vegetable circle garden, and backyard chickens!
    Check it out…and, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/GunJE0-9w98