Thread: Aphids, and all that implies.

Default Aphids, and all that implies.

Last year to add to my butterfly attracting plants, I bought four Swamp Milkweed
    Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella' The goal is/was to bring in the Monarch butterfly, which they did. I even had them laying eggs on the plant, which happened too late in the year to get any offspring. The problem I found with this plant is aphids love it to no end. So my question is; Is there some way to treat this plant for them not to love it so much, and still not harm the butterflies? I use no harmful chemicals in my yard at all, and would love to keep it that way.

I dropped this question here yesterday in hopes of getting some conversation going. Yes I could have googled my question, but I like to hear from real people out in the trenches that can relate to my plight. In the 14 years that I have owned this house, last summer was the first time I have ever had an aphid problem. 90% of my flowers are perennials, and I do grow three raised beds of tomatoes, cukes, zukes, radishes, peppers, and carrots. Not a big production, but like many, we do love our fresh from the garden veggies. After a quick search online the best defense for aphids seems to be a simple one from this site. http://www.gopetsamerica.com/garden/...ol/aphids.aspx Cheap enough, and will not hurt the good insects.
    This fragrant mix will halt an aphid invasion fast. It'll also kill any foul fungi that might be lingering on your plants:
    1 tbsp. of Garlic Oil
    3 drops of dishwashing liquid
    1 qt. of water

Mix these ingredients together in a blender, and pour the solution into a hand-held sprayer. Then take aim and fire. Within seconds, those bugs'll be all history.
    There's more on that site, but this one really strikes my fancy.

New Users

Hi there, I buy green lacewings and ladybugs from Arbicoorganics.com.

It costs me about $60. each spring to get the Green Lacewing population going for the summer, but it's nice that they will send a batch monthly and rewarding to see them keeping my gardens free from aphids and mites.
    Hope this helps.