Thread: nice smelly shrub or something

New Users

Red face nice smelly shrub or something

This my be a silly question but I need help finding something I can plant on a container in Pacific northwest that smells BAD. Will be far away enough from my house won't bother me but my crazy racist potty mouthed neighbor will get good whiff. I will care for it make sure it doesn't freeze in winter heck I may name it. Thanks for your help

New Users

Hi Gordyandgirl,

Boxwood Bushes Or shrubs Are Known to Give Off A Smell Like Cat Urine!!!!

Boxwood_Wintergreen.jpg

First: this post is hilarious! Second: try growing some skunk cabbage. They reek when they're injured or left to decay.

Whatever you try, please let us know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordyandgirl View Post
    This my be a silly question but I need help finding something I can plant on a container in Pacific northwest that smells BAD. Will be far away enough from my house won't bother me but my crazy racist potty mouthed neighbor will get good whiff. I will care for it make sure it doesn't freeze in winter heck I may name it. Thanks for your help
    Something that is real stinky is rotting grass clippings, or a compost pile that is too wet and does not have adequate air (hasn't been turned) Just make sure that you are not down wind of it. You could pile it in a whiskey barrel and put a plastic plant in to hide the contents and keep it shaded.
    Last edited by Terisaccount; 06-16-2014 at 08:54 PM.

barberry has bad smelling flowers, but they do not last.

However, there is a whole group of plants with putrid flowers (that is the word you want to search for, putrid). Many of them are tropical though.

another idea, get into beekeeping, get free honey, and locate the hive over there.

I have not experienced this plant 1st hand, but those who have say it is the most awful smelling thing on the planet. My brother had one in Portland,OR, and a friend here,NOLA, had a neighbor with 2. They are called VooDoo Plant they are beautiful, and smell like rotting meat and flies pollinate them, uck. Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Terisaccount View Post
    Something that is real stinky is rotting grass clippings, or a compost pile that is too wet and does not have adequate air (hasn't been turned) Just make sure that you are not down wind of it. You could pile it in a whiskey barrel and put a plastic plant in to hide the contents and keep it shaded.
    You hit the nail on the head! Rotting grass is the absolute worse smell evah!