Thread: Tomato seedlings dying

Default Tomato seedlings dying

I need some help all of my tomato seedlings are dying. They are falling over then turning as hairlike thin any ideas on what's causing this.

Your seedlings are damping off. You will have to start over. They were probably too moist, try not to water the next ones as much.

And if you have them in a little covered tray, take the cover off to let some humidity out. They're essentially rotting while alive in that high humid environment, like gangrene for plants.

I wonder if those plastic covers are always advisable. I live on the west coast and I have almost done away with them, I think there might be enough moisture in the air. And then if you live in a drier climate, you could use them judiciously

New Users

Brandon, it is not as much the moisture as it is a fungal disease that causes "damping off." You will need to start over.
    -Make sure you are using a soil-less seed starting mixture- NOT garden or potting soil. You can find directions for making your own on the web. I prefer to purchase pre-sterilized commercial seed starting mix.
    -Disinfect your trays, pots, covers, etc. with a 10% household bleach solution.
    -Do NOT allow seedlings to dry out even for a couple hours - indeed use a cover. But don't over water either. If you do, leave the cover off over night but replace because they will dry out and get stressed in a hurry.
    -And then here is a trick that I have been using for nigh on 20 years - make a strong cup of chamomile tea but not so strong that you couldn't drink it, cool and use as a mist about once every week or two on newly planted seeds and your seedlings. It makes a fine and harmless antifungal.

Love the tip about the chamomile tea. Did not know that, but what a simple solution without harmful chemicals.