Thread: What fruit (or vegetable) can I grow in large whiskey barrel in intense FL sunlight?

New Users

Question What fruit (or vegetable) can I grow in large whiskey barrel in intense FL sunlight?

I was wondering what type of fruit (may consider vegetable), I would be able to grow in a wooden 17″ H x 24″ W x 24″ L whiskey barrel planter. I live in an apartment (will be moving in 1.5 more years), and have been growing 4 varieties of peppers, heat-tolerant tomatoes, and several herbs in whiskey barrel planters for the past 2 years. I use the barrel planters so I can take them when I move out. I would like to grow some type of fruit tree, perhaps a lime tree, in one of these barrels that I recently cleared out. The plant will be in the intense Florida sun most of the year. I was hoping some experienced gardeners can help me decide what I can realistically grow under these conditions. Thank you!

Very few fruit trees do good in containers as they need room. There are specifically designed dwarf citrus that can do good in containers, but you should expect a few years before you get any yield. Make sure you get a dwarf though, not just any old lime or lemon tree.

Registered Users

I have improved Meyer's lemon and Kaffir lime growing successfully in large pots on my sunny, CA concrete patio. I have had success and near failure. They have both always produced for me, although the limes are small and insignificant-- I use this tree for it's aromatic leaves in Thai cooking. The near failure I had was when I wasn't watering enough. I now have them on irrigation so they are getting consistent water, and they are both very happy for it!

I have also had success including fruit yields from potted blueberry shrubs, strawberries, and cumquat tree. All on the same hot & sunny patio.

If it is too hot, consider elevating the planter off of the ground with a pallette or two 2x4's to get some air flow under the pot to cool the plant roots.
    Charm Dreier

Please visit my blog!
    http://www.gardentraining.com