Thread: How much mulch is too much?

Default How much mulch is too much?

My first major garden is truly coming along and I'm really fixated on the benefits of mulching. Lately, I have been using my grass clipping to mulch around the plants. I'm into my second application thus far, but I'm fearful as I cut my grass more often and continue to mulch, I will do more damage than its benefits. 20130531-003.jpg

I may be wrong but the more mulch the better.

I like the way you have your garden "blocked in". My son and I are using a "blocked in" method too. As I get established here will post a pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by dirttoplate.com View Post
    My first major garden is truly coming along and I'm really fixated on the benefits of mulching. Lately, I have been using my grass clipping to mulch around the plants. I'm into my second application thus far, but I'm fearful as I cut my grass more often and continue to mulch, I will do more damage than its benefits. 20130531-003.jpg
    There is such a thing as too much mulch, especially grass clippings.

Mulch can get matted and prevent water from penetrating the soil, it can also harbor pests.

Grass is particularly prone to getting matted. Also early spring grass clippings are good, but later ones can be full of seeds, and you don't want that. Also, grass, if thick, and freshly cut, and laid down, can get super heated and even start to smoke in the summer, the heat from such hot composting could damage your plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    There is such a thing as too much mulch, especially grass clippings.

Mulch can get matted and prevent water from penetrating the soil, it can also harbor pests.

Grass is particularly prone to getting matted. Also early spring grass clippings are good, but later ones can be full of seeds, and you don't want that. Also, grass, if thick, and freshly cut, and laid down, can get super heated and even start to smoke in the summer, the heat from such hot composting could damage your plants.
    And to add to that. If you fertilize your lawn to get that lovely green, you will be adding way too much nitrogen to your veggies. Too much nitrogen, and you will have really nice green plants with no fruit production.