Thread: New Denver Gardener!

Default New Denver Gardener!

I need some help! I really want to start a garden but live in an apartment and have no experience. I have window boxes that are about 8" deep and can obviously buy larger containers. My apartment is east facing so it gets direct sun from around 7-noon. After it receives party sun. It is the beginning of June in Denver, what should I plant? I need some easy items and would prefer a mix of veggies, herbs, and flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by juice533 View Post
    I need some help! I really want to start a garden but live in an apartment and have no experience. I have window boxes that are about 8" deep and can obviously buy larger containers. My apartment is east facing so it gets direct sun from around 7-noon. After it receives party sun. It is the beginning of June in Denver, what should I plant? I need some easy items and would prefer a mix of veggies, herbs, and flowers.
    Hi, juice533, I just happened to come upon your post. I know it's already Ausgust, but I don't see any answers to your question, so I'll try.
    It's not too late to sow a late summer crop for a second harvest in autumn. You could direct sow carrots, chard, cucumber, lettuce, scallions, squash and turnips. Keep the pots where they'll get the most sun in your apartment. The lettuce will need some shade except from the early morning sun, so plant them to the north side of some taller plants. Keep the soil moist but not wet.

As for herbs, plant the heat-loving ones like basil marjoram, thyme, sage, chives and oregano. Again, they should have all the sun they can get in your east window.

You can sow perennial flowers in June and July (not too late in August) in seedbeds for flowering the next spring. Transplant in the fall to pots indoors if winter is cold, then plant out in spring.

Of course, you'd get a better harvest with seedlings, but it's still all right to direct sow where you live.