Thread: very new, just have one quick dumb question

Threaded View

Post I took the easy way....

Quote Originally Posted by teresa255 View Post
    please excuse this very amateur question but i want to start a small backyard garden this year...i dont want a raised garden...how do i kill all the grass before tilling? (or is that done after?) A few years ago i tried and we just tilled and didn't do anything to kill grass b/c I didn't know any better and thought it would all just dry up and wouldn't grow back but it did within a couple weeks. Dumb I know but now i really want to do this b/c i want to know where at least some of my family's food is coming from, and just sick of all the scary recalls on spinach etc...
    Teresa, I actually took leftover tarp that had not been used, aired it out and put it over the area where I wanted to plant and left it a couple of weeks. When I took it off, the grass was gone, soil was ready to be worked. I planted garlic, fennel and basil. They are thriving, the grass did not come back, lots of worm activity and the soil looks healthy. Not sure if what I did was "right" but it worked for me.
    Last edited by nyladybug1950; 05-02-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: better wording