Thread: The right time to start seedlings

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by THM_18 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan my veggie and herb garden. I'm going to grow basil, cucumber, pumpkin, spinach and tomatos. I modified a egg carton for my seedlings. (See pic attached) I'm going to start them inside because freezes are still regular. I would like to know when I should start them, I'm was planning to start them this week, but I understand some seeds might need more or less time before their ready to get planted. Also, does anyone know where I can find out how many square feet I'll need for each plant?

Thanks for the advise,

THM_18
    I agree with Jeanna, Google is your friend! I'm in SC (close to Charlotte, NC) and I didn't know a thing about gardening down here when I came (still learning too).

I just looked up a growing season map on Google and also a chart that says what to plant and when it can be planted for your region....and wallah!

I just planted some this week (video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoyD6tBuu7A) and I'm so open to suggestions too.

I've never tried or even heard of somebody starting plants seeds like this, it was just a crazy idea and I thought I'd try it.

Let me know if you need any more advice, I'd be glad to share!

Wayne, SC

New Users

I love the egg carton idea. I'll have to try it out myself 1 of these days.