Thread: What are these insects?

New Users

Default What are these insects?

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so here it is:

We live in Grassy Creek, in the mountains of North Carolina. Just the other day, we had 7 inches of snow. When I went outside, on top of the snow everywhere I go, there are millions of tiny insects - they look a lot like lice - on top of the snow. Some are dead, but many are alive, and they jump and bury themselves partway in the snow. I have never seen anything like this in my life. Does anyone have any idea what these tiny, jumping insects are and how they got on top of the snow all over my property? Snow is not new to me, but snow with these insects is a first.

Collect a bunch in a zip-lock bag and take to your County Extension Agent then let us all know. Can you post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by dottie View Post
    I wasn't sure where to post this question, so here it is:

We live in Grassy Creek, in the mountains of North Carolina. Just the other day, we had 7 inches of snow. When I went outside, on top of the snow everywhere I go, there are millions of tiny insects - they look a lot like lice - on top of the snow. Some are dead, but many are alive, and they jump and bury themselves partway in the snow. I have never seen anything like this in my life. Does anyone have any idea what these tiny, jumping insects are and how they got on top of the snow all over my property? Snow is not new to me, but snow with these insects is a first.
    If the little buggers spring or jump like a flea when disturbed it's most likely a springtail. These little bugs live in the top layers of soil especially high quality soils that have a lot of life in it and come out and on top of the soil when it rains or snow falls and begins to melt into the ground. Most of them are dead probably because they are drowning but it's ok they won't harm your garden if it is a springtail.
    True Living Organics, Co. High Quality Organic Fertilizers, Soils & Soil Amendments

www.TrueLivingOrganic.com

Registered Users

weird! Never heard of a bug that could survive on the snow
    Charm Dreier

Please visit my blog!
    http://www.gardentraining.com

Yup, we call them snow fleas, even tho they are not a flea at all.
    http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/snow_flea.htm