Thread: accident! damaged trunk of young hemlock

New Users

Default accident! damaged trunk of young hemlock

Yesterday I dropped a red oak near a group of hemlocks I planted 4 years ago and one of them was hit. Trunk cracked about halfway through about a foot off the ground. I straightened carefully and splinted by tying (with a 2 inch wide cotton rag).
    This hemlock is now grown to maybe 6-7 feet since purchaced locally 4 years ago.
    As amature, I can only think to apply tree wound dressing (treekote), only instructions say not while freezing or raining and its well below freezing now. I suppose as soon as above freezing, but needs to dry and don't know how long that would take.
    Any advice to suggest to save this tree? Thanks, Rich, cental MA

You’re better off calling professional tree experts as you might damage it more.

I know it's well after the fact but I really hope you didn't use treekote, OP. I've only ever heard bad things about it. Bernie's suggestion to get a service team involved is really the best bet.

New Users

I've had pretty good success by actually bolting the trunk together, then applying Vulcam calk to the wound (crack) to seal out bacteria and seal in the tree goo. I used 1/2" bolts with really large washers on the bolts, and did it on a day when the temperature was just above freezing. My first attempt was a Red Gum, and the trunk split as both large arms broke all the way to the ground. I propped up the sides, tied things into position, then drilled and installed the bolts. This was probably around 1994 and the tree is beautiful (and huge) to this day. I do worry about someone cutting into it one day though. If you do this, don't use hardened bolts.