Thread: Why Did You Start Backyard Gardening?

Question Why Did You Start Backyard Gardening?

I am looking to see why we all started backyard gardening.

Was it for :

1. Health
    2. Wealth
    3. Relationship with others and the earth
    4. Greater freedom and independence
    5. More choices for food and flowers
    6. Help more people
    7. Relieve stress
      Make money for excess plants.

http://www.gardeningblog.net/forums/...cons/icon5.png

Thank you for your answers!

All of the above.

Gardening replaces stress with satisfaction. I love the peace and quiet to see what is starting to grow from seed and what it starting to flower and fruit. I find it so relaxing and have a little chat to my veggies while I weed. Seeing and eating the fruits of your labour is so rewarding and spending time outside with my family and watching them enjoy it melts the worries away.

Default Hi Adam, Stress relief and great conversation is a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBorzy View Post
    All of the above.

Gardening replaces stress with satisfaction. I love the peace and quiet to see what is starting to grow from seed and what it starting to flower and fruit. I find it so relaxing and have a little chat to my veggies while I weed. Seeing and eating the fruits of your labour is so rewarding and spending time outside with my family and watching them enjoy it melts the worries away.
    Hi Adam,

We do not weed much, we have only spent about 8 hours total weeding this year, but we have had lots of the neighborhood children and their parents come over to our house and ask tons of questions about gardening. They also get to learn how to pick and eat right in the garden. Most of them thought food only came from the grocery store.

Life is a garden, it is great to see the light come on for the next generation of gardeners!

For me, gardening has just been the natural next step in my life. Big city living can is exciting, but anything worthwhile takes time. That's why I started to garden, just to have a respite from chaos. Also, I feel like it a primal function of man to grow their own food. Buying food exclusively at a store only existed in big cities until very recently, and I think that as a people we losing our self sufficiency. Now, I'm only growing sugar snap peas and Brussels Sprouts this season, but it just feels good to go back to the nature of man before computers and TVs and be enthralled with the simple joys of gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by ;3878
    Hi Adam,

We do not weed much, we have only spent about 8 hours total weeding this year, but we have had lots of the neighborhood children and their parents come over to our house and ask tons of questions about gardening. They also get to learn how to pick and eat right in the garden. Most of them thought food only came from the grocery store.

Life is a garden, it is great to see the light come on for the next generation of gardeners!
    Gardening is just immense source of pleasure and satisfaction.. It just makes you feel proud as you have done some good thing for nature.. I just love it

New Users

I like knowing I can supply some of my own food without chemicals and preservative. I can a lot of tomatoes that last all year sooooo much better than the commercially canned. I also do green beans. We have a compact raised garden this year and everything is just going crazy. Love salads so lettuce, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers right out of the back yard.

Default remembering the past

I started to garden just to have so home grown vegetables like when I was younger. Everyone is in to big of a hurry these days to stop and smell the roses.
    I first started with Green pepper and cucumbers out of the upside down planters. Now i have a 4x10 foot section for 3 different styles of peppers, cucumber, carrots, onions, broccoli, and garden salad mix. I remember doing green beans and how much fun they were collecting them for dinner. I want to do potatoes next year and was wondering if anyone has any tips.

Derek at yourgardenstop