Thread: fertilizer

Default fertilizer

I am interested in how folks fertilize their herbs and vegetables. I have potted herbs - basil, rosemary, mint, chives, dill, cat-mint, as well as lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper, chilli, spinach...

I would like to know how to fertilize and how often.

I'm thinking of using household ingredients: egg shells for calcium, aquarium water for nitrogen, urine, milk and coffee grounds are all other ingredients that I have readily on hand.

However, I'm not sure how often I should fertilize and in what combination. Obviously some plants like the tomatoes will need more, than say the rosemary. Difficult!

I cannot make a compost heap or have a wormery where I live, so I've gotta do the best I can with what's at hand, and I want to keep it organic.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I typically keep the food scraps directed to the compost bin or put in a compost trench. If you can't do a compost pile you could possibly try the trench method, or if you are in containers try burying a small amount of food scraps into the pot at planting.

I have had great success with a fish emulsion fertilizer. Depending on the type of plant I fertilize every 1-3 weeks during the initial few months of the growing season and then go to 4-5 weeks as autumn draws near. Also with the fish fertilizer I generally stop using it 2-3 weeks before I harvest anything to eat.

A mix of 4-6-4 of fertilizer is ideal for gardening. The figure 4-6-4 indicates the quantity of the three main minerals that are blended i.e. 4 % nitrogen, 6 % phosphorus and 4 % potassium.

Registered Users

You could also save rain water in the wet season, and use it during the dry season. Rain has nitrogen in it, so it is perfect for greening up lettuces, kale and other greens, and leafy herbs. Poor man's fertilizer!
    Charm Dreier

Please visit my blog!
    http://www.gardentraining.com

New Users

Quote Originally Posted by beasuccessfulgardener View Post
    A mix of 4-6-4 of fertilizer is ideal for gardening. The figure 4-6-4 indicates the quantity of the three main minerals that are blended i.e. 4 % nitrogen, 6 % phosphorus and 4 % potassium.
    That would be a fine all around mix. Corn is a heavy nitrogen feeder though. You will want to give it extra N.

I buy urea (46% N) and 6-24-24 and blend my own mixes. For corn, I till in fertilizer before planting, side dress with urea at 3 or 4 inches and again when tassels start to show.