Thread: How to harvest herbs

Default How to harvest herbs

So, I am growing a few herbs in containers. My first attempt! I have Basil, and chives, Rosemary and Mint.

My question relates to how you harvest them.

Is it better to take the new shoots and leaves from the top of the plant?

Or should you take the larger, lower leaves?

I've been taking the lower leaves, because they were bigger, and I thought it wouldn't stop the plant from growing upwards... but I'm noticing now that the stems on the bottom of the plants are getting a bit 'spindly'.

Can anyone advise the correct method?

Thanks.

a mix. Top growth will inspire the plant to make more offshoots, and generally grow bushier. But bottom leaves will eventually become shaded and may die back, so might as well harvest them too. That is the case for basil and mint.

Rosemary, probably just the terminal growth (ends/tops) since the lower sections are far more woody.

I agree with Chris. Rosemary will continue to grow from the base (usually branching off) of the branch if it is cut.

For basil, when you start to get the white blooms, clip them off, this will keep the basil from going to seed and dying before you are done with it. Every year I have my garden full of basil! Italian cooking all through the summer and even into the fall with fresh basil! (at least for where I live here in TX)