Thread: Need help Identifying Perennials

Hybrid View

New Users

Default Need help Identifying Perennials

I am new at this whole landscaping thing. We bought a house a few months ago with alot of mature landscaping that I want to make sure I'm taking care of correctly. I am having a hard time identifying some of the perennials. I have attached pictures of them so hopefully they will be visible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! :)

DSCN3118.jpgDSCN3119.jpgDSCN3120.jpgDSCN3121.jpgDSCN3122.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vettec11 View Post
    I am new at this whole landscaping thing. We bought a house a few months ago with alot of mature landscaping that I want to make sure I'm taking care of correctly. I am having a hard time identifying some of the perennials. I have attached pictures of them so hopefully they will be visible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

DSCN3118.jpgDSCN3119.jpgDSCN3120.jpgDSCN3121.jpgDSCN3122.jpg
    first picture I'm not sure, how big is that? Second one is violet or viola, some are hardy. Third looks like a lily, and that smaller bit at the top right of the picture definitely looks like a lily. It is harder to tell though, it almost looks succulent as well. Fourth picture is definitely lilies, fifth picture I don't know.

New Users

Thank you! Here is another picture of the 1st one...you can see better it's size. And I added 2 more of other things I don't know what they are. Also should I be watering or fertilizing these? Again Thanks for your help!!!

DSCN3125.jpgDSCN3117.jpgDSCN3124.jpg

I'm no expert, but here's my stab.

3118 Day lily or spiderwort
    3119 Viola or violet
    3120 Lily (?)
    3121 Lily (?)
    3122 rudbeckia
    3125 Peonies
    3117 Day lilies or spiderwort
    3124 NO IDEA LOL!

Hope that helps.

New Users

Thank you Janell...That's a big help!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    first picture I'm not sure, how big is that? Second one is violet or viola, some are hardy. Third looks like a lily, and that smaller bit at the top right of the picture definitely looks like a lily. It is harder to tell though, it almost looks succulent as well. Fourth picture is definitely lilies, fifth picture I don't know.
    first one is Day Lily. Those will shoot up (probably) orange flowers that last one day @ June. The leaves will die back. If you cut them down, they will leaf out again, but no more blooms. I have 60 million if you want more LOL! Hate them.

Second one is a Pansy. They often come back. The hardier relative of Pansy is Viola, which is a true perennial. Pansy tolerates cold pretty well, so if you get lucky they keep going for a while. Otherwise it is considered a hardy annual. They also reseed themselves sometimes.

The third and fourth ones are asiatic lily. Probably two different colors of blooms. They multiply over time with bulbs. These come up as tall green spikes that bloom one or more large flowers on each stalk (depending on variety). They will bloom June/July most likely.

The last one is tricky as it looks like a lot of things. It is most likely of the Rudbeckia family, so a type of gold daisy sometimes called Black-eyed Susan perhaps. There are many varieties, so difficult to tell until it blooms in late summer- August most likely.

The second set of pictures you posted are:

first is Peony. These are Red, Pink, White, sometimes Yellow or Lav. Bloom in May and plant stays attractive all summer. They smell lovely. Don't be alarmed if you see ants on them. This is normal. Peony and ant goes together like peanut butter and jelly.

Then is the Day Lily again.

Third one is harder. A little early to tell for sure. Could be Solomon Seal, but probably not. There are Iris in the background of that photo. Wait until its a little bigger and photograph again. Or take a snip in to your garden center (not Home Depot et al, but a real garden center).

Good luck!

New Users

Thank You very much!

Banned

sorry i didnt see all the seperate pics! The first is a common daylily.