Thread: New @ gardening!

Question New @ gardening!

Green thumbs run in my family but I didn't seem to be bless with the family trates... I cant keep anything alive even though i do everything i'm suppose to do. As of recent I'm trying to collect flowers, seeds, plants so on and so forth so i can give it another go, but i'm in need of advise... tips! Please!!!! Thanks
    ~Rose Viasana~

Welcome Rose! The best advice I can give you is to go simple, take your time, and don't be afraid to kill stuff. You should also grab a paper and pen and come up with a list of all the things you want out of your gardening experience. Be as detailed as you can. If you're growing flowers, think about things like color, foliage, texture, fragrance. If you're growing herbs or veggies, think about the flavors that you and your family love. Remember.... this list is "brainstorming." There is no bad idea.

Then, move to the next phase which is to make a list of variables - variables like your USDA Hardiness Zone (plant growing zone), or whether you're working with shade, partial shade, or full-sun. Consider the amount of space you have to work with too. And don't forget to think about time (i.e. how much time do you realistically have to spend in your garden?). All of the factors I've mentioned will play a part in the types of things you choose to grow.

Once you've got your original list, along with your list of variables, you can then choose the plants/veggies/flowers/ etc that will work best for you (based on your wants/variables). Once you choose the specific plants/flowers/veggies you want to try, you should have no problem finding all kinds of information on the web (i.e. forums like this one for example) that will help you with each specific item. Hang in there! And happy gardening
    Last edited by nofeargardener; 05-21-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Thank you...i really appropriate the advise. You were a big help.
    ~Rose Viasana~

Quote Originally Posted by rosavia View Post
    Green thumbs run in my family but I didn't seem to be bless with the family trates... I cant keep anything alive even though i do everything i'm suppose to do. As of recent I'm trying to collect flowers, seeds, plants so on and so forth so i can give it another go, but i'm in need of advise... tips! Please!!!! Thanks
    If you are new to gardening you should check out smartgardener.com - its a web app that can help you get started by recommending you plants based on your zip code and sending you email reminders of your tasks including when to plant, how to plant, pruning, weeding, watering etc. I've been using it for about two months, although I've been gardening for about 3 years. Its still really useful for me because I can map out my garden and the website has a huge database of plants with all the growing info you could need for each plant. I also order my seeds from them since they are completely GMO-free and since they have so much info on the varieties.

Also, I recommend talking with folks in your area about what pests to look out for, which varieties do well in your microclimate, and to see if they have any seeds or cuttings you can take from their garden to get yours started.

HAPPY GARDENING!

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."