Thread: flower or weed??

Hybrid View

That looks very similar to what I have at my house too. I have never had it change into anything different so I ended up pulling the patches along my retaining walls.

And speaking of that, I really need to get a good weed killer, but not something too toxic. I will need a lot for my sidewalks and pathways on a corner lot. Anyone have good products or deals, websites to share for ordering bulk?? I found a good home/garden Walmart coupon here, but don't know what to get.

On a yard budget!!
    Last edited by inchworm5; 04-27-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Actually on second look it may be a columbine or a mum, so a flower.

New Users

This looks like mugwort to me. Here's a picture of mugwort that looks very similar to what you got:

http://treehaven.org/garden-conversa...bal-immersion/

Mugwort grows in edges and bare spaces, especially along roadways. Many people consider it a weed. But it actually has a long history of medicinal and "magical" uses.

New Users

Quote Originally Posted by inchworm5 View Post
    And speaking of that, I really need to get a good weed killer, but not something too toxic. I will need a lot for my sidewalks and pathways on a corner lot. Anyone have good products or deals, websites to share for ordering bulk??
    Inchworm5,
    Weed killers by nature are toxic, however if you are serious about a non-toxic solution consider either of these cheap alternatives:
    - straight (undiluted) white vinegar, pour it directly on the weed
    - hydrogen peroxide at 10% or higher concentration (not as easy to obtain as the vinegar, but most hydroponic stores carry 30..35% which you could dilute with water.)

In either case, there is no toxic residue. The vinegar of course is acidic, so will turn the soil more acidic there and may require some lime or other pH-raising adjustment should you want to grow plants there later.

The hydrogen peroxide leaves a residue of water and oxygen, no problem for anybody.