Thread: What kind of flower is this?? HELP

New Users

Question What kind of flower is this?? HELP

zflower.jpg
    I found these growing in one of my pots, underneath all the dead flowers. They must have been planted before I moved into my new house. They don't look like a weed, so I'm really curious to know what kind of flower it is. I wanna make sure I take care of them correctly. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find them. So can someone PLEASE help me???

Thanks, Ariel

(Sorry if the picture is really small!)

Hi Ariel,

I could be wrong, but based on what I'm seeing, these look like Grape Hyacinth to me. They're pretty much bullet proof. They'll spread too. They're usually one of the first things to come up in the spring. Sounds like you want to keep them, but if you ever do want to get rid of them (or some of them), you can do so by digging up the bulb. The bulb can be pretty small - anywhere between the size of a grape to smaller than a pea, and they sort of look like a little onion bulb. If you do ever want to get rid of them (or move them), be sure to get every last little one. And I wouldn't compost them or leave a bucket of bulbs out anywhere - lest the squirrels have a field day and you find grape hyacinth all over your lawn the following spring!

New Users

Thanks so much for replying! You've been very helpful. I did notice there was a bunch of them, so the fact that they spread makes total sense. I will take your advice and just keep them in the pot . Now, there was other flowers planted in the same pot, if I want to plant different flowers with them will they over power the new flowers? Or should I just remove a few? Just trying to make my garden as colorful as I can for spring. If they are going to over power the other flowers I will just leave them alone.

Thanks so much again for replying! Your advice is greatly appreciated. I am very passionate about gardening, I'm just kind of a newbie! And I could use all the advice I can get. I want to be the best gardener I can possibly be!

-Ariel

Depending on how many Grape Hyacinths you're starting with, you may want to consider digging the bulbs out at some point (maybe after they're done blooming and die off this year?) That way, you know exactly how many you have and then you can plant them exactly where you want them to be. They will eventually spread out, but it would take a while before they overpower the planting area (if at all). Plus, they don't get that tall or last that long in the season, so depending on what you're planting with them, they shouldn't block out any sunlight from other plants or anything like that. Grape Hyacinths are really nice to have toward the front of your flower beds (or front part of a large pot) with progressively taller plants being planted behind them. Hope this helps!

New Users

Sorry, Is it just me , I can't see any picture in your post

Isn’t it Grape Hyacinth is quite invasive? They spread really quickly but if you don’t mind those plants to spread freely I suggest just plant it near the edge of your garden area. BTW, these plants don’t like extremes; that’s why you don’t need to plant them where the soil is too dry or wet.