PDA

View Full Version : Green Tomatoes

Mr Yan
10-03-2011, 12:53 AM
So last night I had to pull tomatoes because of frost and I now have somewhere around 50 pounds of green tomatoes. Does anyone have suggestions for these?

I just tried fried green tomatoes.

I have green tomato bread in the oven now.

What else?

nofeargardener
10-05-2011, 07:37 PM
The wife and I have a ton of green tomatoes as well. We're planning on making up a batch of hot green salsa this week for canning. There are lots of different recipes on the web. Ours contains:

chopped green tomatoes
chopped, seeded jalapenos
chopped, serrano peppers
chopped, poblano peppers
chopped white onion
lime juice
finely chopped garlic
cumin
oregano
salt & pepper

we might also add some cilantro. We'll see how she does once she gets cookin'. And we'll obviously adjust the amounts for our particular tastes.

Hope this helps! :)

Mr Yan
10-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I like this idea, thanks. I have a bunch of jalapenos I pulled the same night.

Mine have been sitting for a few days now and a few have started to redden up. I guess they were further along than I thought when I pulled them.

This use sounds gross but give it a try because it did turn out really well. Green Tomato Bread. It tastes really close to other fruit breads (zucchini or carrot).

j.parson
11-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Mr Yan-

I wouldn't mind trying green tomato bread. Do you have a recipe? :)

Mr Yan
11-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Here's a link:www.food.com / Green-Tomato-Bread-53325 (http://www.food.com/recipe/Green-Tomato-Bread-53325)

While it was good there was some depth missing from the flavor.

If I remember correctly I only had about half the sugar on hand when I made it so, as is normal for me, I just winged it.

j.parson
11-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Thank you, Mr. Yan. :)