PDA

View Full Version : What are the benefits of gardening?

Seraphina_11july
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
What are the benefits of gardening?

j.parson
09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Well, my mother-in-law has a lovely little garden in her backyard. She has an avocado tree, lemon trees, grapefruit tree, a jujube tree, tomatoes, peppers, and lettuce. This is all in a suburban California backyard! When we eat the veges she grows, it is so delicious. The tomatoes are small, but we pick it right off the vine when it's ripe. They are sweet and perfectly ripe when we choose to eat them. The lemons are bigger than the ones in the supermarket (we think that they might have been cross-pollinated with the grapefruits somehow- they are about the same size!).

Anyways, there are lots of benefits to growing your own garden! You eat what you grow! And,on top of the delicious factor, they are all organic. =) :D

isabela_isla
09-26-2011, 02:15 AM
There are many benefits of gardening:
It gives us cool environment.
It looks beautiful...

s8vm632
10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Gardening contributes to physical health, since activities such as digging, planting, weeding, and harvesting are all part of three types of physical activity: endurance, flexibility, and strength.outdoor patio furniture clearance (http://patiofurniturexpress.com)

Mr Yan
10-06-2011, 12:49 AM
This will sound bad...

It gives me another way to irritate my neighbor. He's an old guy who's a lawn nerd. I keep getting rid of lawn and adding more garden beds. I also tuck edible stuff into all of them - well those with enough sun.

Oh yeah it gets rid of lawn for me to mow.

Organic Gardener
10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
It's like meditating. Putting your hands in the earth connects you to the world in some sort of primitive way. And of course, I save a ton of money in the summer eating all of those fresh, organic fruits and veggies.

nofeargardener
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
To me, there's nothing more relaxing than working in my garden with bare feet. I get super dirty, but that's ok. Sometimes, if I've been at it for a while, the wifey will bring me out a glass of freshly squeezed lemonade. PLUS... I think it's good for us to reconnect with our agrarian roots - not only because its good for our health, but also because its good to know how to grow your own food. That way you're not completely dependent on someone else. We don't have a large plot by any means, but what we do have, we try and make the most of. :)

j.parson
10-21-2011, 08:38 PM
The kids love it too! My 3 year old son loves to help me water. Gives us time to spend with each other and with the earth.

GrowerCentral
11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Benefits of gardening
It's relaxing
It makes for a great project
It's so satisfying when you've finished, you feel like you've really accomplished something
It spices up your home and makes it look more appealing
You can grow all your own fruits and vegetables
You can save money by growing your fruits and vegetables

That's just a few of my reasons off the top of my head!

Dave S
11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I’ve found that gardening is really beneficial and a great form of exercise that keeps me occupied for hours. Whether I am planting new bulbs, mowing the lawn or running back and forward to the garden shed (http://www.tigersheds.com/) for equipment it is really enjoyable.

I also feel that working in the garden helps me re-connect with nature, reduces stress and allows me to be creative on a daily basis.

inchworm5
03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I can think of so many benefits that gardening has, being able to grow your own food is the biggest one in my opinion. It can be relaxing and it gets you outside and moving. It is better for the planet to have a natural garden and not using tons of chemicals to grow food for an ever demanding market.

cattail
03-19-2012, 04:38 AM
I agree, inchworm. Being able to grow your own food, and the feeling of leading a self-sustainable life that this gives you is wonderful. And to be in harmony with nature. I also love just getting my hands into soil, it's like mediation to me, my mind goes quiet when I'm doing that.

zack0109
03-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Gardening is a labor of love. Exercise is just plain labor. Human nature suggests that you're going to do something you love much more frequently than something you don’t love. Given the choice between a treadmill and gardening, I'll take the garden anytime.