PDA

View Full Version : What variety of barberry is my shrub?

Hector932
06-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Hello everyone, I really need your help find the barberry variety I have. The shrubs are about 15 years old and some have started to die, leaving empty spots along the wall.
I looked at all the big nurseries here in Chicago and they only carry the most popular varieties right now. Looking at pictures throughout the internet, I think my shrubs are the Emerald Carousel. They have the exact same leaves, size, berries, and flowers. The only thing different is that my shrubs turn a little rusty color in the fall, not the bright red/ purple describing the fall colors of the Emerald Carousel.
Could there be another variety closer to my shrub or can the ph in the ground affect the leave color in the fall? Anyone's help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Chris
06-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I had a barberry growing near my foundating that had to be removed because we had some siding work done. So I hacked it to the ground, then attacked the rootball with an axe.

The next year it was back, as vigorous as ever.

These things are hard to kill, but sometimes a hard cut back helps an older plant get bushier again. I'd recommend cutting yours back hard, to the soil.