PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Trees in Zone 8

drywalldan
05-03-2011, 11:30 PM
I live in SOUTH, south Alabama. I really want to have fresh lemons in my yard like they do in Florida. I heard hanging Christmas lights in it will keep them warm enough on the few nights it gets below freezing.

It is one of those ideas that seem like it should work.

What do you think? Any experiences?

Chris
05-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Technically, yes, lights or fire can help. I don't know if christmas lights would be enough, but it would be something.

If you really, really, want this, get a smaller dwarf tree. Get some EPS insulation and fashion a large lightweight box out of it that can be tied down with tent stakes, like a giant styrofoam cooler. If the weather gets cold, box the tree (And put the lights inside as a heat source, a 100 watt incandescent).

When your box is not in use, fold it up and store it on your garage ceiling or something.

Depending on your yard configuration you may have a nook (between fence & house, something) you can plant the tree in so it is covered on two sides normally, making your box easier to make.

Humidity can also help, so spraying the tree down right before you go to bed can be a good idea.