PDA

View Full Version : Fig Gardening

LombardoCC1
03-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Any resources or tips on starting a Fig garden? My mom had one when i was a kid and I would like to start one in my garden.

Starwynn
05-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Any resources or tips on starting a Fig garden? My mom had one when i was a kid and I would like to start one in my garden.

I haven't any advice, but am hoping that someone else will chime in. I bought three fig trees to replace two very old heritage figs that sadly were killed by very thoughtless contractors!

Cody Wellard
06-03-2011, 11:14 PM
I have had two fig trees, one was planted at the front of my parents house, it grew beautifully and produced lots of figs. It was well protected and was in a sunny warm spot. My folks lived on the coast of BC

Edible Garden Norhwest
06-19-2012, 04:28 AM
The most important thing to consider when planting figs is that they are of Mediterranean origin and as such they love hot weather. Be sure to plant them in full sun and placing them next to a south facing wall can help as well. They are very disease resistant and quite a low maintenance edible garden plant as well. To see some fig basics check out the fig page at Edible Garden Northwest (http://ediblegardennw.com/fig).

walkeasy
10-24-2012, 06:08 PM
dwarf fig trees can come in handy. they have a short time period for harvest. the need to climb a ladder can delay your harvest sweet spot. mmmm.. They are sooo good.