PDA

View Full Version : Too early for squash borers?

Dori
06-24-2010, 05:28 PM
This is my second year planting zucchini. Last year about mid August I got the borers and did as much damage control as possible after the attach. This year I have two plants (out of 4) which are getting really wilty. I had applied Sevin early in June and have applied twice. Is it too early for the borers and I have something else going on? I hate to over insecticide. Thanks

gumbo2176
07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Dori, I live in southeast Louisiana and squash borers are a constant problem for me. Some years it's a good one, some not so good. This years squash plants have all been pulled due to borers hitting the plants quite early in the growing season. Last year I had beautiful squash and a run of about 5 weeks before the borers got to the plants. If you have a compost pile, do not throw the plants in there that have borers in them, simply toss them in the garbage or burn them if you can do so where you live.

I've tried some "old wives tale" home remedies with no success such as putting aluminum foil around the base of the plants and adding black pepper to ward off the borers. The end result of that was a waste of good foil and pepper.