PDA

View Full Version : Grape Vine

Rosemarygardens
04-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I have a grape vine growing on my fence. We bought this house three years ago and it had already been planted. The vine is anywhere from 5 to 10 years old but has never produced in the three years we have lived here. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be to old or maybe need another vine to produce? HELP!

Chris
04-20-2010, 01:54 PM
I would wager improper pruning. Grape vines need to be pruned to produce well.

Cut it all down, except the strongest biggest branch going up from the ground. Cut that one off at the top of the fence height. If it has two branches on either side, one going in each direction, you may keep those, otherwise, this year, prune away everything that grows new except one branch that goes in each direction along the fence. Tie these to the fence loosely. If these branches then send up branches heading back up, let these tertiary branches get a foot long, then cut the ends off.

Imagine, if you will, a giant upward facing rake, that is the shape you are trying to create.

Then make sure it gets sun, and it should fruit.

ruby44
08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I have a grape vine growing on my fence. We bought this house three years ago and it had already been planted. The vine is anywhere from 5 to 10 years old but has never produced in the three years we have lived here. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be to old or maybe need another vine to produce? HELP!
I will be curious to see any answers to this--we have a grape vine that produces very little (1 bunch last year, maybe 3 this year) and we are wondering if there are soil amendments we can add, or any other information on how to encourage grapes to bear.

davidbkeegan
11-15-2010, 06:47 AM
I also agree, it couldn't help to start over. If it still doesn't produce, it is old and just wont bear fruit anymore