PDA

View Full Version : just planted candy crisp apple tree

joeandgina
09-19-2009, 07:20 AM
I just planted a candy crisp apple tree that I bought from a local nursery. The tree came in pot of mulch and soil. I took the tree and soil out of the pot and placed them in the hole and filled the rest in with loose soil and watered it. What I didn't do was break up the dirt and mulch that was already on the roots. This might sound like a dumb question but will it be okay since I didn't spread the roots around? I have watered it twice in the first 3 days and used a root stimulator mix with B12. Any help and info will be appreciated since this is the first time I've planted a tree. Also the neighbors have 2 apple trees so I don't have to worry about pollination

Chris
09-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes, that is okay, and in fact disturbing the rootball would have been VERY BAD.

However, if there was burlap wrapped around the rootball, it should have been cutoff once the tree was in the hole. It decomposes, but not quickly enough to make sure it doesn't choke off the roots. Sometimes a tree in a pot still has burlap. So the procedure is remove it from the pot, place it in the hole, carefully cut away the burlap, then backfill with soil. Really good soil, you only get 1 chance to add soil to the bottom of the roots, make it work.

Keep watering well for 2 weeks or until you see new growth.

joeandgina
09-19-2009, 03:53 PM
thanks, no there was no burlap. I don't know how much growth there will be at the moment because the leaves will start to fall off very soon as fall is almost here in Iowa.