PDA

View Full Version : Desert Gardenening - How to Beat the Heat?

gardenwinter
08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Since I moved out to Arizona, I haven't been able to keep much of my garden over the summer. It seems the heat is just too much and slowly dies all my plants out no matter how much I water.

Does anyone know of something to help with this?

---

Garden Winter (http://www.gardenwinter.com)

Rose White
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Choose plants which require little water and are drought tolerant. Plants which have hard, leathery, tough leaves tend to grow in hot climates. Pomegranate trees, olive trees and date palms grow well and produce fruit in a desert. Ask your neighbors or local nursery what grows well in your Arizona neighborhood.

Succulents like aloe vera, agave, prickly pear, yucca and flowering cacti do well here because they have thick waxy leaves which have the ability to hold water for later. They shrink when thirsty and swell when fed water.

Your garden can include gravel beds planted with flowering cacti, bamboo, aloe, yucca, colorful sedum, salvia, ice plants, ornamental grasses such as Mexican feather grass, herbs such as rosemary and lavender, agaves and other plants which love the heat and do not require much water. Search 'desert garden plants' online for more plants. Even the desert has hundreds of blooming plants after it rains.

Drip irrigation is an excellent way to conservatively use water. Or install a water feature which irrigates the plants via a trench and then recycles the water. Use plastic flowerpots and planters which hold the moisture better than terracotta. Mulch around your plants to keep moisture in the soil.

Create a rock garden covered with white stones and river rocks and build hard landscaping like patios and decks. Enjoy! :)

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"