PDA

View Full Version : Please Help.......

honeyooo
08-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Hi All.....Im new to the forums as well as to gardening. I have had a basic vegetable garden with some results.....so you can see my gardening is limited at best. So here I go.......

I live in California in the high desert. I got a Brecks catalog in the mail and I want to try growing some flowers.......other than that I have NO CLUE what Im doing. I have looked through the catalog and liked the Mountain Bells Mixture.....made up of different Alliums I guess they are called? It says that they are critter free so Im not real worried about the animals getting to them...but I do need help learning how to even grow them and really...just any advice at all on growing these types of flowers. I would love to have a beautiful garden out front and Im sure all of you can help me achieve that!! :D

DonB
08-19-2009, 12:22 PM
A couple of ideas. Visit your local garden centers. They should be very helpful with plants good for your area. While there, check to see if any authors have books for planting in your area. Also, try a bookstore. I know I have seen several in the Memphis area specifically for the west TN area.

Rose White
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi All.....Im new to the forums as well as to gardening. I have had a basic vegetable garden with some results.....so you can see my gardening is limited at best. So here I go.......

I live in California in the high desert. I got a Brecks catalog in the mail and I want to try growing some flowers.......other than that I have NO CLUE what Im doing. I have looked through the catalog and liked the Mountain Bells Mixture.....made up of different Alliums I guess they are called? It says that they are critter free so Im not real worried about the animals getting to them...but I do need help learning how to even grow them and really...just any advice at all on growing these types of flowers. I would love to have a beautiful garden out front and Im sure all of you can help me achieve that!! :D

The main thing to look for are drought-resistant plants which will grow and bloom well in the desert. Aloe vera, all varieties of cacti, yucca, bamboo and olive trees should do well. Ask your neighbors what grows for them and also check at your local nursery. Have fun!

Rose White, author of
Easy Gardens A to Z
:)