PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Home Owner - Basic Questions

CJacksonLASD
07-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Hello,

I am new to owning a new home in Lakewood California in Los Angeles County. I have been in my new home now for one month, trying to figure out the best I can how to manage the yard and gardening. When I arrived many of the plants were turning brown and dried up. Now I am trying to figure out what certain plants are called and how often do I water them, and how do I keep them looking good.

I first started to water the plants and the grass twice a week for the first 2 weeks. When things continued to die, I now began to water a little every other night. Still things dont want to improve.

If you can name any of the plants / bushes I have, and you have any advice on how often and much I water them, techniques to keep them looking good, I would forever be in your debt.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris
07-12-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm no good with palms, I'm from the north.

3 looks like a yucca just out of bloom. Are the leaves rigid and almost sharp, or like a spear? Yucca then. Very drought tolerant.

Another looks like a cycad, google it. Cool plant, prehistoric conifer.

The plants in pots are probably drying out because they're in pots. Plants in containers dry out very fast, some plants need watering twice daily when in pots. Look for water absorbing crystals at the store, they're corn-made products that absorb 100 times their weight in water to help the potting soil stay wet longer. Cool things. Try mulching the tops of the soil too or moving them into more shade, or just move the plants into the ground somewhere.