PDA

View Full Version : Wilting Lettuce?

JasonOne
06-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi all, I'm new to the forums, and I just started gardening out on my balcony (containers). This is my first time having my OWN garden (i.e., not at my parents house) and I'm also vegetarian -> turning vegan so I would love to have a big garden full of fresh veggies.

I had just recently repotted my veggies into bigger pots and noticed there were some dead/dry leaves (we had a cold spell for a few days), so after cleaning and repotting and arranging them out on the balcony i noticed some of them (almost half) wilted.

I have since put them in the shade and watered them and they seem to have spruced up 50% since I had last left them.

My question is: I get a lot of sunlight the majority of the day on the balcony now. With the shade being at the closest end of the fence. Should I keep lettuce in a naturally shady spot or does it need a lot of natural sunlight? It gets REALLY hot on my balcony mid July, so I don't want to chance doing anything wrong and killing it. This is my first experience with lettuce other than eating it.

The tomatoes, spinach, carrots and herbs are all doing well...
http://wwff.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/lettuce.jpg

EdibleLndscp411
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Your plants are probably fully recovered by now, but it sounded like a case of plant stress which will happen when repotting.

As for the light and the heat, lettuce will bolt (go to seed) when it gets too warm, because it's a cool weather vegetable. You can extend the season by putting your plants in the shade.

hope your containers continue to go well for you.

Lisa