PDA

View Full Version : Dog Poop Help

MacPharlan
04-23-2009, 07:39 PM
All winter I have been tossing my dogs poop into the garden area and the strawberry bed. A week or two ago I took the shovel to the garden to overturn the soil. (I live in boise Idaho)

My friend tells me he hears dog poop is a no-no on the garden, so I do some research and find out it is reaaaally not a good idea unless I want to get worms!

So the strawberry bed (in a large planter), I removed all the poop, but dont know what to do now.

1) Anything I can do to my garden to safeguard it? My wife was thinking we could tarp it and put new soil over top to plant in.

2) What about my strawberry bed, no fruit yet, and i have removed the poop that had not degraded. Can I do anything here? What if I sprayed it with bleach? Would that kill the strawberry plant also? And would it kill any worms?

Thanx in advance for any help.:confused:

marky-boy
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
hi there! i am new here, sounds like a smelly problem!

Wooden Garden Furniture (http://www.afkgardenfurniture.co.uk)

geefrank
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Dogs often fall prey to the same parasites that humans are susceptible to. So, while dog poop is fine for the ornamentals in your garden, they should not be used around your fruits and vegetables unless they are first very well composted to kill the bacteria and pathogens.

Human feces can also be used, but again only after composting. A well built compost pile should reach temperatures in the 160's, sufficient to kill all the bad guys.