PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me. Question About Alexandra Palm Seeds

daniel chase
04-08-2009, 06:01 AM
I have gathered a whole heap of light green alexandra palm seeds and am looking to plant them and grow them. Ive looked up how to grow palms from seed but cant find detailed information on the alexandra palm. They say you should wait until the seeds are ripe and this is then the time to pick them, they also say you should cut the fleshy part of the seed off with a knife. But when i do this there isnt a hard bit inside its all soft and fleshy. Have i picked the seeds to early? and help on growing from these seeds would be great thanks :)

Chris
04-13-2009, 12:00 AM
I know nothing of palms, I live in the cold north. But what you describe with the cutting of the seeds, nicking them, is pretty common for some seed types. Some seeds need to be chomped on by a bird and then passed through their digestive track. The cutting of the seed simulates that kind of damage. But, I know nothing of palms specifically.

mixiepalms
01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
I have gathered a whole heap of light green alexandra palm seeds and am looking to plant them and grow them. Ive looked up how to grow palms from seed but cant find detailed information on the alexandra palm. They say you should wait until the seeds are ripe and this is then the time to pick them, they also say you should cut the fleshy part of the seed off with a knife. But when i do this there isnt a hard bit inside its all soft and fleshy. Have i picked the seeds to early? and help on growing from these seeds would be great thanks :)

you hav epicked the seeds way too early, inside the fruit there should be a stone, not unlike with a date!!! archonotheonix alexandrea are quite temperamental re germination.