PDA

View Full Version : hello, starting help?

OleDan&LilAnn
03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Hello, my wife and I are new to the forums so first I'd like to say greetings. Secondly, I am just now becoming a gardener and I am wanting to start some tomatos and peppers inside, probably in the basement with artifical light. I have read many things about doing this and they all seem to say something different. I wonder if anyone could help me with a quick rundown of the proper steps? Thanks!

Chris
03-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Hello, my wife and I are new to the forums so first I'd like to say greetings. Secondly, I am just now becoming a gardener and I am wanting to start some tomatos and peppers inside, probably in the basement with artifical light. I have read many things about doing this and they all seem to say something different. I wonder if anyone could help me with a quick rundown of the proper steps? Thanks!
Keep the light within inches of the growth to give them enough intensity, then raise the lights as they grow.

Consider putting a box fan nearby to simulate wind so they don't grow all weak.

When it gets warmer harden them off by bringing them outside for a few hours a day, increasing the time each day, till you can leave them outside overnight, then plant them in the garden.

If you don't do these things and just go and plant the seedlings outside, they will almost always just die.

It really is so much work that I usually prefer to just directly seed.

Rose White
02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
When I grew tomatoes from seed, the ones which grew the best had rich potting soil. I kept them near a sunny window and planted them outside after the fear of frost. I covered them with gallon water jugs which had the bottoms cut off and the tops removed so that rabbits would not eat them. When they came out the top, they were strong enough to survive on their own. Have fun! :D

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"