PDA

View Full Version : Growing Grapes??

ashley
01-17-2009, 12:38 AM
We have two grape vines planted at our house. When we first planted them they grew good and got some grapes on them. We have had them for at least 10 years. The are very short and we can not get them to grow taller or get any grapes on them. Any suggestions??? Thanks

Chris
01-17-2009, 02:39 AM
PRUNE.

Grapes, especially mature ones, NEED to be pruned yearly. Also, make sure they're getting adequate sun and not too much high nitrogen fertilizer.

Google "how to prune grape vines" lots of good websites, it can get pretty technical. If you live near a vineyard, perhaps visit one just to see what they look like when a professional does it.

PeppersandMore
01-18-2009, 03:49 PM
I have been around grapes since i was a little kid,my grandfather always had them and my cousin always udes them to make wine,chris is right Prune prune and prune

hairycaterpillar
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
One of my customers has an old grape vine growing in a greenhouse. The roots are on the outside of the greenhouse because they require a good cold spell whereas the top needs the summer warmth from the glass. He has kept the vine as a thick single stem around 12 ft in total length and prunes it back to the same wood every year. It is also regularly pruned through the season so that there is one bunch of grapes every 2ft. and one set of leaves. To keep it trained like this requires loads of pruning or he just ends up with tiny little grapes and a lots of leggy growth.