PDA

View Full Version : Good Gardening Tools

trimmer
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi all hope your enjoying the new year and i hope you haven't been snowed in...yet...

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some new garden tools, i have cleared my shed out of the cheap rubbish i had before and I'm looking to purchase some tools which will last! My local garden centre has a good selection, but i just thought i'd see if anyone has any advice!

Thanks in advance

dzgardener
01-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi all hope your enjoying the new year and i hope you haven't been snowed in...yet...

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some new garden tools, i have cleared my shed out of the cheap rubbish i had before and I'm looking to purchase some tools which will last! My local garden centre has a good selection, but i just thought i'd see if anyone has any advice!

Thanks in advance
Hi James,

I'm a no nonsense gardener.

Steel shafted spade
hoe
garden cart in lieu of wheelbarrow
good pruners
extendable loppers
soaker hoses
compost

I manage to get most things done with these tools. Are there any you can't live without?

hairycaterpillar
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Good solid steel spade, fork and rake. Dutch hoe (very handy for veg gardening). Good solid secateurs mine are sandvik and have lasted 5 years of full time abuse, they can be taken apart and resharpened easily. A bow saw and set of double hinged loppers might be useful if your dealing with lots of thick woody growth.

msmeg
03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I like the fiscar pruning tools I need several sizes of trimmers.

I tend to not care for my tools and forget to put them away so I avoid wood handles and have slowly been replacing with those with fiberglass handles.

a mailbox while not a tool is handy for me I stick my hand tools in it in the garden.... I can do that better than going to the shed... so at least I can find them and they do not rust.

I prefer a short handled narrow sharp shooter shovel or tile shovel as my mother calls it for planting... my dh hates it.

babyfazt09
04-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Of course, you can't go into any battle unarmed. That is why a good gardener keeps in them some handy tools which is helpful in his garden works. It may include a pair of gloves, garden hoe, plough, garden fork, spade, pitch fork, garden rake and sprinkler.

geefrank
04-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Shovels and hoes are my most important tools. But the best tip I can give you is to buy good quality steel that will hold an edge when sharpened.

Even high quality tools are not sharp when you buy them. File a good edge on your shovels and hoes at about a 15 degree angle with a good file. Then sharpen them frequently as you use them.

A sharp tool will do the work three times quicker with half the effort.

freedhardwoods
06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
As far as hand tools go, I use a regular garden hoe and rake. I have a big garden and I use a Troybilt tiller to do most of the work.
I agree with geefrank. A sharp tool saves a lot of work.

lilypotter
08-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Even among the basic garden tools, you are bound to find a wide variety of designs and sizes — enough to cause confusion when shopping. There is a reason for so many options — using the right tool for the right job makes your work easier and more efficient. Here are some of the different tools you might find:
Shovel
Spade
Rake
Fork
Hoe
Cultivator
Mattock / Pick
Post Hole Digger
Weed Whacker / Grass Blade
Bush Axe / Briar Axe / Ditch Blade
Edger
Digging / Tamping Bar