PDA

View Full Version : My garden - easy maintenance

Mmc
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Two years ago I was fed up with constantly buying stuff to kill of moss and weeds in my lawn, especially in my back garden so I decided to make it maintenance free. This took a lot of thinking, drawings and decisions and finally I decided on a large decking area, Trellissing all around the edges about 2 metres from the back walls and golden gravel for the next piece and an area of paving beyond that. Just off centre, I put a large Pergola for climbing roses only as a focal point. I now have a lovely easy to keep garden and can fit much more in because I can grow so much upwards and over the trellising. I have a vine, I have wisteria, I have solanum, clematis (3) and I also have a large bedding plant area between the walls and the trellises where I grow lots of annuals and perennials. I put a ton of soil in for the bedding area and got rid of all the most of the ivy except for one area which I manage to keep on top of. I did all the work myself with my husband who is very handy and did all the woodwork and heavy moving of gravel etc. It took us about 3 months to complete initially but I have worked for the past two years planting it up. It still looks new but the plants are beginning to flesh out and the roses are at the top of my pergola already. I am very happy with it and would advise anyone who finds the maintenance of grass too much to do similar.
M

Rose White
02-10-2010, 06:22 PM
That's my kind of gardening!

I never enjoyed mowing grass or wasting water on it so I placed flower and vegetable gardens and walkways everywhere.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"