PDA

View Full Version : Peoneys On The Gulf Coast

urbaneve
08-17-2008, 05:46 AM
okay --

peonies happen to be one of my favorite flowers and i live down here in gulfport MS and was wondering is it possible to grow them here. some places i have read that they dont grow good here and some places say they do.

i need some advice. if it is possible to grow them here, anyone have any good tips on growing them

cheers
jennifer

Chris
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I live way up north so I really have no experience with gardening in your neck of the woods.

However... I do believe peonies NEED a cold period, and so you might be too warm down there.

urbaneve
08-19-2008, 03:41 AM
thanks for the reply. maybe there is a way that i can force a "winter" on them. we do get temps around the high 30's and low 40's -- but it is very rare when we have a frost.

do they need to go through a frost period i wonder?

cheers

Rose White
02-18-2010, 10:04 AM
okay --

peonies happen to be one of my favorite flowers and i live down here in gulfport MS and was wondering is it possible to grow them here. some places i have read that they dont grow good here and some places say they do.

i need some advice. if it is possible to grow them here, anyone have any good tips on growing them

cheers
jennifer

Why not plant one and see how it does in your garden? Many times plants will surprise you and grow where it is not easy for them.

Rose White, author of
Easy Gardens A to Z
:)