View Full Version : Toxic Mold????

08-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Hello! We have a very hot, dry spell now for almost 2.5 weeks and I noticed several patches of white/ yellowish mold (i think) growing on top of mulch back by my bushes. When I watered it, it began to smoke like crazy, almost a brown powdery discharge that billowed out when water touched it. It scares me to think this might be harmful to me or my pets. Has anyone seen this before? It is harmful? Thanks for your input

08-04-2008, 03:02 PM
a white fungus is very common in wood chips and is just them decomposing.

A mold that gives off smoke... I'm afraid I don't know what that is.

Rose White
02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Why don't you take a few pieces to your County Extension Office or a local nursery and see if they can identify the problem.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"