PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Barberry dying

cmccormack1422
06-23-2008, 03:27 PM
I've planted five barberries at my house. They get midday to afternoon sun. One of the five died. It turned brown in one day. I have since replaced it. Now two weeks later. The new barberry in the same spot is starting to turn brown too. The bushes on either side of it are fine. Any ideas?

Chris
06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Check the soil. Though... I've had the same problem with golden barberries. They seem fragile when first planted, especially in full sun, and especially if they don't get a lot of water. Once established they're very rugged, but it takes a little while for the roots.

I have a little hedge of 12 or so golden ones and I had two die in the first couple months and needing replacing, and the replacements have done fine.

Still, check the soil. There is one spot in my yard where nothing will grow, nothing. I assume someone working on our house spilt a chemical there or something. You can get soil test kits for relately little money at a garden store, or send a sample to an extension office for a full analysis, it is also fairly inexpensive, and that will let you know for sure.

Personally, I put a pot over the dead spot, problem solved.