PDA

View Full Version : new to landscaping

cliffhokie
06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Just thought I'd say hi. My wife and I are purchasing our first house with 0 yardwork done, so I thought I would need all of the help I could get.

Chris
06-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi, if you have any questions, post them.

My #1 advice generic to give anyone... try to get shrubs with contrasting foliage colors, plant them in odd numbers, and staggered depths (a straight line of contrasting colors doesn't work, you're mixing formal and informal styles). So if you want a straigh hedge, get all the same thing, if you want a mixture, aim for contrasting foliage colors and textures. And there is no reason why you can't have both (for instance a hedge at the front border of a bed, and behind it the other shrubs).

http://www.backyardgardening.net/article/foliage-contrast/

cliffhokie
06-24-2008, 05:14 PM
thanks for the info and article!

j.mae90
10-06-2008, 04:06 AM
Just thought I'd say hi. My wife and I are purchasing our first house with 0 yardwork done, so I thought I would need all of the help I could get.

Hello :)

What state do you live in? How much sun does each side of your house get?

You should be exciting that you get to design your whole yard without any other previous landscaping!
The fun is just beginning.

-Jess

DonB
08-19-2009, 11:19 AM
You can have quite a goot time with a bare canvas:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=30577205&id=1312119279

We bought this house 1.5 years ago with nothing but grass. Our 'design' has continually changed and expanded, plants have been moved, and moved again, but the results make it a joy to come home to:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=30600303&id=1312119279
Enjoy!!

Greenscene Gardenscope
08-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Hi,
Do your research first, consider that sometimes hiring a professional landscaper may save you not only time but a money in the long run. regards and good luck

hewitt12
08-15-2011, 03:03 PM
You need to to back to square one. know about what tools that you'll be needing, Type of design that will definitely fit for the household and a certain people that are professional that knows about cultivation and gardening.

Gardening Ideas (http://www.treeandgardensolutions.com.au/)

roseane
05-08-2012, 03:16 AM
Landscape design is the art of modifying land areas by organizing natural, cultivated, or constructed elements according to a comprehensive, aesthetic plan. It includes topographical features such as hills, valleys, rivers, and ponds; growing things such as trees, shrubbery, grass, and flowers; and constructions such as buildings, terraces, roads, bridges, fountains, and statuary. If you want to try landscaping in your house you have to select the focal point. Think about your courtyard next to the pool, there will be people walking and chatting or resting there. Landscaping will make your house beautiful and attractive. And you’ll have a chance of enticing of aptitude buyers when you decided to sale your house .It will also give you satisfaction with a home while you live there.

Chic-E-Tiki
05-10-2012, 06:10 AM
That is a quite the blank canvas. Maybe some golf practice?

lambatla
06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
I just want to suggest perennial garden

beasuccessfulgardener
06-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Before you make your debut, stop, pause and take a look around your bare stretch of land. Walk around and survey your land. You will have a better perspective of what and how to do, when you walk around.
If you are good with sketching or bare minimum drawing, sketch some possible layouts. To get a natural feel, infuse colors to your sketches.

I got this info out of a free ebook on www.beasuccessfulgardener.com

AdamBorzy
07-20-2012, 05:23 AM
This thread started 3 years ago...
I think cliffhokie already had something put up in their yard.

harrisongardensydney
09-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Every garden requires a bit of attention from time to time. The highly skilled team at Maintenance by Harrison’s has been ensuring Sydney’s gardens look their best for nearly 10 years. Our maintenance packages can be tailored for one - off visits all the way through to custom designed yearly maintenance packages, and everything in between. garden maintenance sydney (http://www.harrisonsmaintenance.com.au/)

Mike F in OK
10-22-2014, 03:06 AM
I would suggest that you decide how much effort you want to put into your landscaping maintenance to help direct your decisions. Flower beds will take more time than simply choosing some nice greenery, shrubs and grasses. Rock might be a really good choice depending on where you live. Some small boulders or large rocks will help minimize sharp angles in the yard. Have fun with your landscaping decisions. You will find some great landscaping ideas on HGTV's website.

notbiased
01-14-2017, 12:44 AM
Landscape design is the art of modifying land areas by organizing natural, cultivated, or constructed elements according to a comprehensive, aesthetic plan. How much effort do you want to put into this? Always check out some other websites and designs to get a feel of what you like, then work on it. www.jupiterlandscapedesigner.com