PDA

View Full Version : teeny greenhouse or terrarium?

Chillmark
06-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi! I live in a rowhouse in Baltimore, MD and I'd like to get a small garden started with herbs and whatnot. I have little room in my backyard and it doesn't get much sunlight anyway. My thought was to configure something small that I could build onto the rail of my rooftop deck...like a teeny greenhouse. I need something more structural than just pots because the winds can get pretty rough here. But the heat and sun on the deck should be great for growing.

Any ideas on designs for something like this? I'm a noobie gardener so please use little words and speak slow...

Chris
06-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Big pots are the easiest thing, a big pot is going to be 50-100 pounds filled with dirt, which should avoid any wind.

Rose White
02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
You can also plant vines in your garden and train them up a wire or trellis to reach your roof. Bougainvillea and grapevines are wonderful and once they reach the sunny area you will be happy with their flowers and grapes.

Also, consider hanging baskets by your windows, inside and outside, to extend your garden. Make sure hanging baskets and window boxes are securely fastened so that there are no accidents.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"