PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies

Kitten
05-26-2008, 01:22 AM
When I was growing up, we always seemed to have tons of butterflies in our yards and gardens. I don't seem to have that now, though, so what should I do to attract them more?

athena24
09-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Find out what plants and bushes are native to your area and plant them. I have milkweed, parsley, passion vine in the flower garden. Those are host plants. I also have native plum, blueberry, serviceberry and goldenrod and of course, a butterfly bush also is works wonders. This time of year I see loads of butterflies in the yard, landing on the flowers for nectar and laying their eggs on the host plants. Oh, also some zinnia, they love zinnias.
I hope this helps. The host plants can be started from seed, very easy.

christine

hairycaterpillar
12-27-2008, 08:30 AM
We use buddleja (butterfly bush) in Britain. Our native butterfly's love it. I don't know if it's the same in America but you could always give it a go.

Penny
01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I grow alot of coneflowers and it really seems to attract them, also beebalm is supposed to be good as well,

dgreee16
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Here is an article I wrote on attracting butterflies to your garden. You might find it helpful: http://davidsgardeningtips.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/butterfly-gardening/

danthegardener1234
02-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi

Coming into Spring Butterflies do like Lavender, Primroses, Forget me not, Sweet william and Bluebells.

Dan the Gardener

pharmerphil
03-06-2011, 01:46 PM
All great advice..I will add..
GO ORGANIC...
or use chemical sprays responsibily

nofeargardener
03-07-2011, 12:24 AM
The butterflies here really seem to like our Sedum Spectabile.

alp12ha
03-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Nowadays end of greenery and due to pollution butterflies end in city but it now available in rural areas.

SprigsandRoots
05-07-2011, 02:18 PM
+1 on the butterfly bush vote. If they grow in your area, they will be loaded with butterflies by mid-summer!

Cody Wellard
06-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I have two butterfly bushes and cone flowers, I have found the butterflies love both. I didn't know they liked parsley, I will have to plant some in my garden this year.

lavendergirl
06-09-2012, 07:41 AM
I'd have to try the butterfly bushes then. I love this thread! Now, I don't just have to content myself with looking at the pretty butterflies on my phone and on my computer as my background and screensaver. I do love to go out and see those butterflies for real. I've just started with gardening again though and have gone through a lot of stuff online, including this helpful thread.

AdamBorzy
07-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Add nectar-rich flowering plants to your garden. Similar plants like sunflowers, marigolds and some pentas, attract butterflies and avoid spraying poisonous pesticides if possible.

LIcenter
12-08-2014, 06:04 PM
They like Yarrow, and Rose of Sharon also. I use mass plantings of many plants suggested here. What you also should do is give them a place to drink water. I use a small birdbath in the center of my planting with a flat rock in the center just above the water line. I remember reading not long ago, a monarch butterfly can smell Asclepias incarnata butterfly weed from 20 miles away. So there is that.