PDA

View Full Version : Too much peat moss? cant water through it?

santon
05-23-2008, 12:45 PM
bare with me here, newly wed, large lot in urban area.
This is my first year gardening. We builta new home on a large lot in Toronto, and this is our first year of getting down and dirty.

This particular questions refers to peat moss in flower bed. We have a 200 tons or so of armour stone. Around this armour stone there is a flower bed that is mostly clay. I added some top soil to it, wife and I planted all kinds of plants, then bought some Sphagnum peat moss. I put in about a 1-2 inches of this stuff across the top of this flower bed which is about 2x40ft. Anyhow, after watering the sh-t out of it, i noticed the water wouldnt penetrate through the peat moss, and it was dry right under the top surface. I didnt realize you had to mix this stuff into the soil and not on top.

Do I have to remove all this peat moss? or will the water find its way down to the roots? Or will the plants dry to death with this layer of peat moss? Most of the plants are annuals.

mom2manyboyz
05-23-2008, 04:58 PM
When you were watering the area, exactly what did you use to water? A hose? A sprinkler? Soaker hoses? Also, did you notice the water running off to another area?

msmeg
05-23-2008, 08:30 PM
This is probably not what you want to hear but you need to remove all those pretty flowers you planted and till or dig the peat moss into the bed It wil only be as good as your preperation work.. and really 1 to 2 inches of peat moss is not much while you are tilling add some composted manure and compost. then replant your flowers

You will be much happier if you take the time to do this.. I swear

The water would eventually soak through the solid peat layer but by then it would float away.... dig or till ...

santon
05-24-2008, 02:05 AM
used the shower spray on the hose to water. there is alot of flowers planted, like literally 60-80. So the water will make it down to the roots? if anything I would rather just remove the peat moss for this year or scrape it away with a small shovel. If I leave it what will it take to get water down the roots? will it get the water it needs? i watered the sh8t out of it. scraped over like 1 cm of peat moss and it was dry. water seemed to run on top of the peat moss at one point.

msmeg
05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
You could try mixing it with the dirt by hand

or move it to the side and lay some drip irrigation underneath it.. or like you say remove most of it and if you planted annuals. till it in in the fall and you will be ready to go in the spring.

solid peat will create a barrier for the water it will absorb it all itself or float away if it is dry.

mtrent
05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
This is probably not what you want to hear but you need to remove all those pretty flowers you planted and till or dig the peat moss into the bed It wil only be as good as your preperation work.. and really 1 to 2 inches of peat moss is not much while you are tilling add some composted manure and compost. then replant your flowers

You will be much happier if you take the time to do this.. I swear

The water would eventually soak through the solid peat layer but by then it would float away.... dig or till ...

This is absolutely the best way to way to take care of your problem. Way to go Ms. Meg!!!!!!

Rose White
02-11-2010, 08:31 AM
You also might want to consider raising perennial plants and bulbs along with your annuals. Do the work one year and reap the benefits for many years to come. Choose a variety of plants so that something is always in bloom. Add a few annuals for continual color and accent.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"