PDA

View Full Version : Puddles in my raised bed!

rigardengal
05-22-2008, 06:33 PM
My very first post!! I recently have begun my very first raised vegetable garden. Before this year, I did container gardening, and now that I have gained the confidence, I've moved up and on!!!

The garden is 16' X 4', framed into 4 sections. The soil consists of existing soil from the plot selected, mixed with loam and composted matter. The soil is rather course, and packs tightly.

I have planted sugar snap peas, pole beans, and green onion seeds. I've also added nursery plants such as tomato, bell peppers, eggplant, broccoli, and lettuces. The seeds have been in the ground for 8 days and the plants for about 4 days. No seedlings have emerged as of yet.

Here's my problem. When I water, or when it rains, puddles will form at the surface(I realize there are some un-even areas causing puddling). Eventually, the water will drain, but I'm concerned with heavier rains and/or what will happen to my seeds.

So, I ask, is there anything I can do with my soil, without disturbing what has already been planted. I've inspected the soil by hand, and it seams tightly compacted. Please help this novice gardener!!

Thank you!

Green-Moo
05-24-2008, 02:55 PM
At the end of the season I suggest that you give your beds a good going over, digging in plenty of organic material.

For now, can you poke holes in the soil with a fork, and top it with an organic mulch?

Kitten
05-26-2008, 12:54 AM
^ That's what I was thinking. You need to give the water somewhere to go, so create some small holes and ruffle up the soil a bit so it doesn't compact quite as bad.

rigardengal
05-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Thank You! I've since 'ruffled up' the soil and that seamed to help a little bit with the drainage. I will next try poking holes in troubled areas. I have a compost bin 'working hard', so in the fall I should have some good 'stuff' to work in.

My sugar snap peas are just emerging, but my pole beans are slow. All my other plants look pretty healthy. What types of fertilizer do people use. I must go search the forum.

Serenity
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
If you add some rocks to it as well as the organic material already mentioned, that will help with the drainage. Not huge boulders! Just some small pebbles and stones mixed throughout the soil will help it stop compacting quite so much. I have a clay soil and have similar problems.

Serenity
05-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Thank You! I've since 'ruffled up' the soil and that seamed to help a little bit with the drainage. I will next try poking holes in troubled areas. I have a compost bin 'working hard', so in the fall I should have some good 'stuff' to work in.

My sugar snap peas are just emerging, but my pole beans are slow. All my other plants look pretty healthy. What types of fertilizer do people use. I must go search the forum.

I like the slow release kind but I mix it into the soil when it's being tilled before planting. After that, I don't feed mine again in all honesty. Just be aware that you can feed them too much and do more damage than good so it's important to follow the directions on the box no matter what kind it is. Only thing I do is use 7-Dust to kill the bugs and beasties apart from a bit of hoeing, trimming and weeding.

SageMother
05-28-2008, 11:38 PM
There may be some fertilizers you can use while watering the plants. Since they have these for indoor plants, I assume they would have them for outdoor plants as well.

rigardengal
05-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've since loosened up the soil a few times, added some organic material(Miracle-Gro), and the bed is doing so much better.