PDA

View Full Version : Containers

justontime
05-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Do you have any tips for making sure your containers don't dry out when you are away on holiday? I have moved mine to a shady spot and I have some of those moisture retaining granules in them, I have also asked a relative to pop in and water them a couple of times.

Serenity
05-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Are they indoors or outdoors, justontime? There's a number of options but it depends on where you have them situated, how much water the type of plant typically needs and how long you plan to leave them unattended. The moisture retaining granules are a good choice. If space allows, you can also invert a lidded soda bottle filled with water with a hole pierced in the lid for a homemade drip system.

debrajean
05-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Are they indoors or outdoors, justontime? There's a number of options but it depends on where you have them situated, how much water the type of plant typically needs and how long you plan to leave them unattended. The moisture retaining granules are a good choice. If space allows, you can also invert a lidded soda bottle filled with water with a hole pierced in the lid for a homemade drip system.

I've done the soda thing before and it works pretty well. And a friend coming by to help out will be good.

SageMother
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't know where I saw this, but I believe there is a "wick" system whereby you run a wet wick from a bucket into the soil of the potted plant or plants. Water creeps up the wick based on the amount of moisture in the soil.

Has anyone else seen this set up?

justontime
05-22-2008, 09:15 PM

The containers are in my front garden, they have fuchsias and miniature roses in them. I will try the soda bottle idea, thanks.

riskey58
05-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I have always used the soda pop bottle. And it has worked for me. I saw some new things on tv, but I can't of what they are called. I would like to try them.

lovemyabba
05-23-2008, 06:11 PM
They're called Aqua Globes, and I think they're really pretty.

https://www.buyaquaglobes.com/?cid=496742

But, a pop bottle would work just as well. There are also more fancy systems out there, too, like these:

http://www.nextag.com/automatic-plant-watering/search-html

Green-Moo
05-24-2008, 02:57 PM
You can buy timers for irrigation systems, so if you put one on a drip feeding hose it might solve your problem.

justontime
05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice, it seems I have tempted fate by asking this question. I began my holiday on Saturday and it has rained continuously since then so I will be lucky if my containers haven't floated away by the time I get back!

atula
05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I always use the soda bottle idea when I am away on a holiday and it works fantastically...
someone told me once that you can even keep your preciuos potted plants in a moist space like the bathroom if you are away...the trick is to place some wet newspapers all around the floor or the bath tub and then keep the pots...they thrive well inthe moist atmosphere....

Rose White
02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I don't know where I saw this, but I believe there is a "wick" system whereby you run a wet wick from a bucket into the soil of the potted plant or plants. Water creeps up the wick based on the amount of moisture in the soil.

Has anyone else seen this set up?

I used a system like this for my Christmas tree and it worked well. The water needed to be higher than the container holding the water for the tree, though.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"