PDA

View Full Version : Mulch

angelicwriter
05-18-2008, 09:26 PM
What is the best mulch most people use to aid in reducing weeds and various plant diseases in your garden?

Green-Moo
05-19-2008, 07:58 AM
I use a weed supressant layer of either cardboard or cotton fabric, and then top it with an organic layer made of bracken, straw or similar to improve the look of it.

Roguegal
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I used plastic around the base of my trees covered with redwood. There is about a 3 Inch Circle around the base of the tree of dirt and then plastic for about what out from the base. That is what I use for the trees. For everything else I use a layer of newspaper covered with a red mulch I bought at Lowe's.

Mickie31
05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I think what Green Moo says about using cardboard is probably your best bet also it is easy to get your hands on and cheap. It is easily recycled and therefore I would say cardboard.

mtrent
05-20-2008, 02:08 AM
I also agree with mickie. There is no reason to be so drastic about everything.

riskey58
05-20-2008, 08:50 PM
I always use plastic. But I am going to try using the cardboard. I think I would like it better.

Serenity
05-21-2008, 03:06 AM
I've never tried the cardboard. Usually I buy the bags of shredded bark at Walmart. What do you do with the cardboard, do you shred it first Green-Moo?

debrajean
05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I like the cardboard idea, anything recyclable would be better than lying down the plastic. I used newspaper last year and it worked all right, but weeds still popped up.

Roguegal
05-22-2008, 06:10 AM
Once I get grass to grow everywhere else in my yard I plan on switching the plastic to either cardboard or wood chips around my trees. I really don't care for plastic because it has a tendency to heat up the ground. It is also not very easy to recycle it. The cardboard will eventually break down and return to the soil as well with chips eventually.

Green-Moo
05-24-2008, 03:08 PM
I've never tried the cardboard. Usually I buy the bags of shredded bark at Walmart. What do you do with the cardboard, do you shred it first Green-Moo?

No, I don't shred it. Just lay the cardboard in sheets, then top with something more attractive if you'd like. It will eventually break down. It's an excellent weed suppresant.

Roguegal
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm just curious, how long does it take the cardboard breakdown? In other words, how often do you have to replace it? It wouldn't seem like you would have to replace it too often, but then again it is made from paper.

Rose White
02-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I used plastic around the base of my trees covered with redwood. There is about a 3 Inch Circle around the base of the tree of dirt and then plastic for about what out from the base. That is what I use for the trees. For everything else I use a layer of newspaper covered with a red mulch I bought at Lowe's.

I looked up 'bracken' and it said it is poisonous to livestock, so beware of where you use it as it may hurt pets, etc.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"
:eek: