PDA

View Full Version : Miracle-Gro Soils

angelicwriter
05-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Are Miracle-Gro Soils the best type of topsoil to use? Or is mainly marketing hype?

Roguegal
05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I think it is only partly hype. Because every one of my plants that I used Miracle-Gro for is doing absolutely fantastic! I do believe it is one of the better soils that you can buy.

Mickie31
05-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Again I think it is down to personal choice also. Some plants respond to different types of soil than others.

mtrent
05-20-2008, 02:09 AM
I also agree that it is only advertising hype to get people to purchase the product.

SageMother
05-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I have found two sets of instructions on outdoor plants . One is just the regular dig a hole and insert plant, and a second set with miracle grow products for al most each step along hte way.

I might get some fertilizer spikes for my newer plants just to give them an extra boost, but I wouldn't use all of the products listed!

Roguegal
05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't use all the Miracle-Gro products either. I do use the soil. I don't have a completely green thumb so I need all the help I can get. I do use plant food sticks as well but they are the generic brand.

tater03
05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
I have not used Miracle-Gro but my Mother in law swears by it. It does seem to work though from what she says. I might just have to give it a go and find out for myself.

debrajean
05-21-2008, 08:05 PM
My former FIL used Miracle grow every year and he had the biggest tomatoes and strawberries.

Roguegal
05-22-2008, 06:08 AM
I definitely recommend Miracle-Gro soil. Their other products are probably just as good but I've never used them. The soil works great for indoor plants. I haven't tried it in my garden outside yet. That means more soil and more money. :-)

mom2manyboyz
05-22-2008, 05:52 PM
In my mind Miracle Gro is no different than Round Up. Certainly, it works wonderfully, but it is not natural or organic and isn't healthy for the earth. If you can find a fertilizer that works well without resorting to "miracle gro," I think it is best. Natural, organic fertilizers take more knowledge, understanding, experimentation to use properly, but in my opinion it is worth it.

Also, if you learn to compost well, you can reduce your waste and eliminate the need to purchase fertilizers.

Roguegal
05-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Just so you'll know, Miracle-Gro uses organic materials that are derived from plants or animals. Both were their organic Miracle-Gro and regular Miracle-Gro. Check it out for yourself at http://www.miraclegro-organics.com/faq.htm.

mtrent
05-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Manymon I totally agree with you. I really do not trust some of these grow fast products, because I just do not feel that they are natural.

mom2manyboyz
05-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Non-organic Miracle-gro has been around for decades. Buying a Miracle-gro "organic" product is like buying Kraft "organic" products to me. It's a rich company jumping on the "organic" hype bandwagon. They do not embrace the true meaning of organic. Mtrent said it very well, "I do not trust them."

Just so you'll know, Miracle-Gro uses organic materials that are derived from plants or animals. Both were their organic Miracle-Gro and regular Miracle-Gro. Check it out for yourself at http://www.miraclegro-organics.com/faq.htm.

rigardengal
05-28-2008, 01:03 PM
New gardener here! I agree, Miracle-Gro can be lots and lots of hype. I admit, I've been using Miracle-Gro potting soil and fertilizer in my flower pots for years and am very satisfied at my results.

I do have a question for the experienced(or not so experienced gardners). What is your opinion on using Miracle-Gro Organic Garden Soil as a quick fix, when a garden soil needs help and there is absolutely no composted matter readily available.

This is my first year with a raised bed and I've discovered my soil to be lacking. We do have a compost bin, but I had very little to use this spring, so I mixed in what I had, and in desperation have mixed in some Miracle-Gro organic matter(about 1", mixed into the soil around existing plants) to help with my soil. Our compost bin continues to get added to, but there hasn't been much de-composition with it.

And another question on fertilization. When I did container gardening I used Miracle-Gro fertilizer for vegetables. Can this product be used in my raised bed, now that I have added the organic matter?

Thank you.

Roguegal
05-29-2008, 03:55 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I think MiracleGro is one of the better products. Everything I have read and heard tells me this. I also understand when a company does very well with their product that people will question the product. If it is so bad for the environment, why do so many people use it? I doubt that is just because of the advertising that they buy it.