PDA

View Full Version : Peach trees

Green-Moo
05-15-2008, 04:28 PM
My peach trees have developed a leaf problem, where they are curling up, turning a reddish colour, and then drying out and dropping off. Can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be?

justontime
05-16-2008, 06:42 AM
It sounds like Peach Leaf Curl you can get some information about it here
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/omplfcrl.html
We had this on a tree in our garden and in the end we got rid of the tree because it was impossible to spray a large tree in an ordinary garden without huge disruption and expense. Come to think of it my husband was very keen to get rid of the tree, maybe it was because it overhung the drive and the birds settled in the tree and 'targeted' his car!

Mickie31
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
There are many diseases that can affect peach trees. I will list these below and then you can have a look at google for them.
BROWN ROT
PEACH SCAB
BACTERIAL SPOT
PEACH LEAF CURL (To be honest this is what it sounds like)
GUMMOSIS
POWDERY MILDEW
CROWN GALL
PHYTOPHTHORA ROOT AND CROWN ROT
OAK ROOT ROT
PEACH TREE SHORT LIFE

Hope that this helps.

SageMother
05-17-2008, 06:07 PM
It sounds like Peach Leaf Curl you can get some information about it here
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/omplfcrl.html
We had this on a tree in our garden and in the end we got rid of the tree because it was impossible to spray a large tree in an ordinary garden without huge disruption and expense. Come to think of it my husband was very keen to get rid of the tree, maybe it was because it overhung the drive and the birds settled in the tree and 'targeted' his car!

I have lived in homes where peach trees produced great fruit, but squirrels would ruin most of it! I wonder how he would have felt if partially eaten fruit had been on his car?

LOL

gnandita1
05-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the information.I would definitely take care of my peach trees and would see that it does'nt get ruined.

justontime
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I have lived in homes where peach trees produced great fruit, but squirrels would ruin most of it! I wonder how he would have felt if partially eaten fruit had been on his car?

LOL

He would have been impossible, he took took it as a personal insult every time a bird targeted the car, so if he had found rotting fruit on the car he would have declared war on the squirrels and bought a season ticket for the car wash!

mom2manyboyz
05-25-2008, 07:58 PM
LOL Justintime. I hate bird poo as much as the next person, but I just hate the idea of cutting down a tree that produces food!

By the way, I was reading an article this week that says peach and nectarine trees (anything in that family) are one of the easiest trees to grow from seed. The seed germinate well in a jar full of dirt placed in the refrigerator! Once your seedling is established you can grow it in a pot until spring and the transplant to the yard. Other fruit trees, don't germ as well and sometimes don't produce fruit once established. Peach and nectarine trees to suprisingly well from seed.

Just thought I'd throw that in since this is the "Peach Tree" thread. ;)

justontime
05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
LOL Justintime. I hate bird poo as much as the next person, but I just hate the idea of cutting down a tree that produces food!

I guess we may have felt differently if it actually produced food, but peach trees don't grow well enough here to produce edible fruit. It was here before we moved in, personally I prefer to grow trees and plants that are well adapted to our climate

atula
05-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Well that is such a good advice mom.... I never new u could grow a peach tree that way...here in India it grows pretty well and gives delicious fruits....I will surely try growing one now...

mom2manyboyz
05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
I guess we may have felt differently if it actually produced food, but peach trees don't grow well enough here to produce edible fruit. It was here before we moved in, personally I prefer to grow trees and plants that are well adapted to our climate

Absolutely, I didn't realize that peaches didn't grow well there. I assumed, since you had a tree.... Well, I wonder if pruning it or fertilizing the soil around it would have helped?

justontime
05-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Absolutely, I didn't realize that peaches didn't grow well there. I assumed, since you had a tree.... Well, I wonder if pruning it or fertilizing the soil around it would have helped?

It is the climate, it is not hot enough in summer for the fruit to develop fully - but with global warming you never know what may happen in the future.

Sam Reeves
06-08-2008, 06:10 PM
The only peach tree we have that is bearing fruit is draping in front of our driveway and is becoming a problem for the car. Is it possible to tie the tree back without hurting this year's peaches?