PDA

View Full Version : Tiller

Victor
05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
I understand that there are electric-powered tillers and motorized tillers. The area I'm gardening is not so big so I don't think I need something so fancy. Is there a manual (hand tool) tiller I can buy? I'm only looking to till about 60 sq. feet. Is their a particular hand-tool tiller someone can recommend for this?

Thanks.

SageMother
05-15-2008, 12:16 AM
The Garden Weasel is really popular with some of my neighbors. It works in small spaces and requires no gas or electricity.

Serenity
05-15-2008, 02:48 AM
I've been lucky enough in the past to have a friendly neighbor with a tractor and attachment that would till my garden for me. No more though since my move but before then I used to just do it by hand. It's hard work, with lots of shovelling, weeding and hoeing, but it can be done. If you spread it out over a few days, it's not so hard on the back either.

Victor
05-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks. I appreciate it.

lovemyabba
05-15-2008, 04:16 PM
I agree with serenity. For smaller areas, I like to simply use a hoe and do it by hand. Good exercise! :)

riskey58
05-16-2008, 12:37 AM
That is what I use a hoe and a shovel. I just do a little bit at a time it makes it easier, and works great.

Kitten
05-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I agree with serenity. For smaller areas, I like to simply use a hoe and do it by hand. Good exercise! :)

We do this as well. For smaller gardens, it's not worth the effort of getting out a full-size tiller and using a hoe lets you get right in there where it needs to be broken up.

Sam Reeves
05-18-2008, 03:03 AM
My all time favorite hand tool has always been a mattock.

freedhardwoods
06-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I have no experience with this, but for a small area like you have, this may work. http://mantis.com/home.asp

Stihl also has tiller attachments for their big weedeaters.

I have a 17 year old 7hp Troybilt tiller that I use on about 6000 sq ft. I bought it new, have used it a lot, and it's still going strong. Mine has a lifetime warranty. MTD bought Troybilt a few years ago and now they are making junk and putting the Troybilt name on it.

learningdaily
06-22-2009, 01:56 AM
I have a Mantis tiller and it's wonderful for small areas. It's light enough this grandmother can haul it from the shed to the garden, start it, and do my own tilling. It's been worth every penny!