PDA

View Full Version : Growing a garden in an apt/without a yard?

RoxyMoron
05-14-2008, 09:19 PM
What are some ideal plants, flowers, herbs or vegetables to grow in a small area? I live in an apartment, and no free land to grow anything. I'd love to, and it would save money on groceries if I could grow my own food.

Also, what are some good plants and crops that don't require a lot of attention? I tend to be very busy, which could make me feel guilty about such a responsibility. Of course, I know they need water and sunlight, but I would prefer something that could store food and energy for days at a time.

mtrent
05-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Any herbs would be great for apartment living. Ferns and aloe are also great.

Serenity
05-15-2008, 02:51 AM
Spider plants do wonderfully in the bathroom and grow fast. They're one plant that appears to thrive on neglect. In fact, the only time I ever killed one was when I decided to try and take more care of it!

Yucca plants are pretty hardy too, as are rubber plants and can grow quite large.

SageMother
05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Pots with strawberries can be nice if you have a balcony or small outside area.

lovemyabba
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
They actually make an Aerogarden (http://www.officialaerogarden.com/default.aspx?adid=ovt1002.1&OVRAW=indoor%20garden&OVKEY=indoor%20garden&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=6161069012&OVKWID=58962370512) that you can use to grown just about anything inside. I realize you'd have to purchase it, but it would be a really neat thing to have. I've been wanting to get one. It would help if you have no outdoor space at all, and no real access to sunlight for your plants.

Green-Moo
05-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Herbs or salad leaves would grow well on your window sill and you could save yourself money too as both are quite costly to purchase.

tater03
05-15-2008, 07:09 PM
My mother in law has a nice herb garden out on her patio. For the life of me I cannot remember what all she has in there though.

mtrent
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=Serenity;782]Spider plants do wonderfully in the bathroom and grow fast. They're one plant that appears to thrive on neglect. In fact, the only time I ever killed one was when I decided to try and take more care of it!

:D :D

That is pretty funny.

Sam Reeves
05-18-2008, 11:05 AM
You can grow carrots, radishes or potatoes in a five gallon bucket.

Rose White
02-11-2010, 09:54 AM
You could place secure window boxes outside and use hanging baskets inside your windows. The windowsill can hold small plants and large containers can sit on the floor and hold bigger plants. Add peat moss to your potting soil to keep it aerated so that roots can easily spread and water can easily penetrate to the roots. If you set up your garden near a water source (like your kitchen or bathroom) it is easy to remember to water it. If you cannot, then keep a gallon jug of water handy near your garden to make it easy.

Try growing cherry tomato plants in the window box and plant a few seeds of several vegetables in the other containers to test which ones grow well in their environment. Store the seeds in your refrigerator for later.

Rose White, author
"Easy Gardens A to Z"